Hot weather has us thinking about cool ways to keep your home comfortable all summer long. It’s easy to take steps to manage your energy bill with our no-cost and low-cost tips.
- Keep the sun out. Close blinds, shades and drapes on the sunny side of your home during the day to keep rooms cooler.
- Adjust your thermostat. When at home, set the thermostat a few degrees higher to save energy. When you are away, adjust it 7 to 10 degrees higher than your normal setting. This can help you save up to 10% on your energy bill.
- Turn down the heat by delaying heat-producing activities such as cooking, drying and ironing until evenings or when the weather cools.
- Keep your bill stable with Budget Billing. Budget Billing spreads your annual energy costs more evenly over 12 months, reducing the impact of seasonal changes.
- Seal cracks and gaps around windows, doors and siding with caulk and weather stripping. This keeps cool air in and hot air out.
- Use fans, even if you have air conditioning. Circulating cool air makes rooms feel cooler and distributes air more evenly. Remember to turn off the fans when you leave the room.
- Install a programmable or smart thermostat to automatically adjust your cooling settings when you are home or away. Our partners at Focus on Energy have great options and rebates.
- Schedule air conditioner maintenance. Yearly tuneups keep air conditioners running safely and efficiently, saving money in the long run.