We’ve restored power to 260,000 customers who lost power from the wind, snow and ice storm that began on Jan. 12 and continued into the weekend.
We Energies reminds customers to report outages as soon as they occur. Report an outage by:
- Using the free We Energies app.
- Going online to https://www.we-energies.com/OutageManagement/
- Calling 800-662-4797 and following the automated prompts.
Customers can receive the fastest service by having their account number ready or by providing the phone number associated with their account.
Here are some tips to help be prepared and know what to do if your power is out.
Always assume downed power lines are energized, and stay at least 25 feet away. Report any downed line to We Energies or local law enforcement immediately.
Clear meters safely
Heavy snow can cover your gas and electric meters. It’s important to keep them clear of snow and ice.
- Clear snow and ice from your meters by hand or with a broom. Shovels and other tools can damage the equipment.
- Don’t bury the meters when using a snow blower or shovel.
- If you have natural gas appliances that vent outside of your home, keep the vent pipes clear of snow and ice.
Cold weather tips
During extended winter outages, temperatures in homes can drop. Use these tips to stay safe:
- Wear layers of clothing to keep warm.
- Avoid opening doors to the outside to retain heat.
- Never use a gas oven or stove as a heat source.
- Use a generator to power furnace and important appliances. Always place generators outdoors in a well-ventilated area.
- Use a properly vented fireplace or wood-burning stove, if you have one.
- Do not use outdoor grills, kerosene heaters or camping heaters indoors.
- Go to a safe shelter when extremely cold.
How We Energies restores power
We Energies works as safely and quickly as possible at all times to repair power outages and restore service to its customers. During winter storms, blowing snow and hazardous road conditions may cause delays for our crews as they travel to repair outages. We Energies appreciates your patience during these situations, and is committed to working nonstop until power is restored to all of its customers.
Learn more about how We Energies assesses power outages and the process it uses to restore service to its customers.