As you deck the halls, don’t overload your outlets … or your energy bill. We Energies is sharing simple ways to have a festive, frugal and fire-free holiday season.
Follow these tips to keep yourself and your family safe and off Santa’s naughty list:
- Inspect your décor. Make sure there aren’t any exposed or frayed wires or other signs of damage on any decorations you need to plug in.
- Stay weather safe. Double-check that your extension cords and light strands are safe for outdoor use.
- Follow instructions. Don’t overload your outlets or string too many lights together — follow the manufacturer’s guidelines on how many strands you can connect and how to do so safely.
Following these tips is sure to put a smile on Santa’s face — and yours when you see your next energy bill:
- Switch to LED lights. They use less energy compared to incandescent lights and can last up to 20 years.
- Timing is everything. Put your holiday lights and powered outdoor decorations on a timer. That way, there’s no risk you’ll forget to turn them off when you go to bed.
- Reflect on your options. Rather than adding more lights to your tree, brighten existing lighting with tinsel, mirrored ornaments and other reflective items.